The first edition of the Vine and Wine World Trade Forum was held a few weeks ago in Dijon, France. It has revealed that international trade in wine and vine-related products has grown significantly over the past two decades.
The market has also become more diversified as consumer tastes have changed. While traditional winemaking economies, such as France, Italy and Spain, maintain their dominance in wine exports, “new world” winemakers, such as Australia, Chile and the United States, are also making major inroads. However, the share of China as an importer has declined following a period of growth, possibly due to global disruptions, such as the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to the World Trade Organization, International trade in wine and vine products, have almost tripled over the past two decades. Its value steadily rising from US$ 17.7 billion in 2000 to over US$ 50 billion in 2021 and 2022. Wine accounted for the majority of this trade (76 per cent in 2022), while the remaining 24 per cent consisted of fresh and dried grapes and grape juice.
The “old world” continues to dominate wine exports with France, Italy and Spain holding the top three positions in both value and volume. From the “new world,” Australia, Chile and the United States are the main suppliers in terms of value, although their shares in the international market remain smaller than those of the top three.
On the imports side the primary wine-importing countries include Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States. They are closely matched in terms of volume, but the United States takes a clear lead in value. A surge in China’s wine imports began in 2005 and peaked in 2017, but it has more than halved since then. This decline may be due to short-term disruptions, such as the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as longer-term structural shifts, such as increased domestic production and possible changes in consumer preferences.
For further stats and details: https://www.wto.org/english/blogs_e/data_blog_e/blog_dta_20oct23_e.htm
Source: World Trade Organization